This is the last UK film release schedule of 2009:
- Dogging: A Love Story (Simon Ellis, 2009, UK) #89 British feature film release 2009 26 Dec
- My Father My Lord (ISR) 26 Dec
- Nowhere Boy ( Sam Taylor-Wood, 2009, UK) #90 British feature film release 2009 26 Dec
- The Queen Of Spades (UK) Reissue 26 Dec
- Sherlock Holmes (UK/USA/AUS) 26 Dec
And so to the final reckoning. Two more films released this week to give a grand total of 90 British feature films (by my reckoning) during 2009. Giving a new dimension to the ‘screwball comedy’ there is Dogging: A Love Story – the ‘comings’ and goings in Newcastle car parks. Far more seriously and perhaps artfully there is the feature film debut by Sam Taylor-Wood with her biopic about the young John Lennon, Nowhere Boy.
Given the lack of widespread general release for most British films it is very unlikely that you would sense that one in five films are of official British origin. But they are. Whether they deserve to be more widely seen is obviously debatable – but surely they are of more interest than many of the less popular American films that get unjustified exposure in their stead?